The town began as a hamlet for the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) lines that were built in the area in 1883. The CPR named the town after one of its benefactors: Claude Bowes-Lyon, the Earl of Strathmore. The Earl’s granddaughter, Queen Elizabeth – as consort to King George VI – later passed through the community on the “Royal Train” in late May 1939.
A track-laying record was made between Strathmore and Cheadle when the railway was built. In one hour, one mile (1.6 km) of steel was laid and – at the end of the ten-hour working day – the rails were laid to Cheadle, 9 miles (14 km) for a record. Efforts by the Canadian government to develop western Canada led to increases in Strathmore’s population and its importance as a rail supply stop. In 1905 the CPR moved the Hamlet of Strathmore 4 miles (6.4 km) north to its current location. The CPR railway tracks are now gone, and the land has been subdivided.
Today, the town is an important agricultural community. Oil and gas exploration is also a growing interest in the area. Many residents commute daily from Strathmore to Calgary.
It is approximately 50 km (30 mi) east of the City of Calgary.
- Rider Express, toll-free: +1-833-583-3636. Bus service along the Trans-Canada Highway from Winnipeg to Vancouver, twice daily. Service from Calgary, Canmore, Lake Louise, and Banff (Alberta); Revelstoke, Salmon Arm, Kamloops, Hope, Abbotsford, and Vancouver (British Columbia); Medicine Hat, Swift Current, Moose Jaw, Regina, Whitewood, and Moosomin (Saskatchewan); and Brandon, and Winnipeg (Manitoba). (updated Oct 2018)