Located in the eastern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Hartland Township – north
- Clarksfield Township – northeast corner
- New London Township – east
- Ruggles Township, Ashland County – southeast corner
- Greenwich Township – south
- Ripley Township – southwest corner
- Fairfield Township – west
- Bronson Township – northwest corner
No municipalities are located in Fitchville Township.
Fitchville Township was established in 1828. The only Fitchville Township statewide, it is named for one Colonel Fitch, a landowner and native of Connecticut.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- “US Board on Geographic Names”. United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- “U.S. Census website”. United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- “Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Census Summary File 1 (G001): Fitchville township, Huron County, Ohio”. American Factfinder. U.S. Census Bureau. Archived from the original on February 13, 2020. Retrieved January 11, 2018.
- Overman, William Daniel (1958). Ohio Town Names. Akron, OH: Atlantic Press. p. 45.
- “Detailed map of Ohio”(PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Govt. Print. Off. pp. 126.
- Baughman, Abraham J. (1909). History of Huron County, Ohio: Its Progress and Development, with Biographical Sketches of Prominent Citizens of the County, Volume 1. S. J. Clarke Publishing Company. p. 218.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.