- There are regular daytime services by louage (shared taxi) or bus (8 daily) from Gabes (40 km north-east).
- SNTRI provides a daily bus service from Tunis Sud station (leaving at 21:30, 23.800 DT) via Sousse (leaving at 23:15, 16.870 DT) and Sfax (leaving 02:00, 10.610 DT), arriving at Matmata at 05:00 (Mar 2017).
- By car – Matmata lies about 45min inland (south-west) from Gabes on a sealed road. Douz lies about 1 hr 30 min to the west. It’s an 1-hour drive from Medenine across mountain roads, passing the historic town of Toujene.
Matmata is very small, so you can easily walk between places.
- Hotel Sidi Driss. where scenes from the Lars homestead in Star Wars were filmed. Accommodation is simple (the bedrooms are formed from individual caves hollowed out from the rock, with shared bathroom facilities), but unique; visit for a day trip or spend the night (see below).
- Ask your hotel if they can arrange a tour of a traditional troglodyte (cave) dwelling; many such properties are located around the village and are today still inhabited by local families. You may give the family a small tip (no more than 5DT)
- There is a small museum behind the Hotel Sidi Driss, displaying local history. No written information in any language is available, so better come with a guide. DT3 per person (February 2018)
- 1 Village of Tamezret. The stone village, 10 km west of town on the Douz road makes an interesting side trip.