Gramps (formerly GRAMPS, an acronym for Genealogical Research and Analysis Management Programming System) is a free and open sourcegenealogy software. Gramps is programmed in Python using PyGObject. It uses Graphviz to create relationship graphs.
Within the genealogy community, and within genealogy software specifically, Gramps has been noted as an uncommon example of commons-based peer production, as free and open-source software created by genealogists, for genealogists. It has been described as intuitive and easy-to-use for hobbyists and “feature-complete for professional genealogists”. The program is acknowledged as “most popular FOSS program for genealogy” by Eastman and others. The Australian consumer advocacy group, CHOICE, has recommended Gramps.
The program is extensible such that, in addition to human family trees, it has been used to create animal pedigree charts as well as academic genealogy showing mentoring relationships between scientists, physicians, and scholars.
Gramps is one of the biggest offline genealogy suites available. Features include:
- Supports multiple languages and cultures, including patronymic, matronymic, and multiple surname systems.
- Generates reports in multiple formats, including .odt, LaTeX, .pdf, .rtf, .html, and .txt.
- Produces a wide variety of reports and charts, including relationship graphs that of large complex acyclic charts.
- Gramps is easily extended via plugins called Gramplets. A Gramplet is a view of data that either changes dynamically during the running of Gramps, or provides interactivity to your genealogical data.
- Gramps employs an explicit event-centric documentation approach, similar to the CIDOC Conceptual Reference Model used by many cultural heritage institutions.
- “Sanity check” flagging of improbable events, such as births involving people extremely young or old.
- Support for multiple calendars, e.g. Gregorian calendar, Julian calendar, Islamic calendar, etc.
- Complete programmer’s API documentation with free and open source code made publicly available.