“Got to Get Better in a Little While” is a rock song written by the British rock guitarist and singer Eric Clapton for his work with the band Derek and the Dominos. The song was originally recorded in the studio for the planned release of a second Derek and the Dominos album. Instead, the song first appeared in a live version on the 1973 live album In Concert. The song was released on Clapton’s solo 1988 compilation Crossroads and later appeared on the band’s album Live at the Fillmore in 1994.
The 40th Anniversary Super Deluxe Edition release of the 1970 studio album by Derek and the Dominos, included the original take with newly-recorded organ and vocals by Bobby Whitlock and a second “jam version”. The song, with “Layla” as the B-side was released as 7-inch single on 21 March 2011.
On 12 December 2012 Clapton performed the song as part of his three-song setlist at the 12-12-12: The Concert for Sandy Relief along with “Nobody Knows You When You’re Down and Out” and “Crossroads“. His live version was also included on the eponymous album released on 5 January 2013. Clapton’s take on the song was considered a “stand-out performance” from the album and was therefore released as the first single from the album on 18 December 2012 as a music download.
In 2013, Clapton recorded yet another live version of the song for his Crossroads Guitar Festival. The take on the tune was released as a video single on 21 October 2013 through Clapton’s official YouTube channel to promote the compact disc, DVD, Blu-ray and vinyl release of the festival. The magazine Guitar World called the release a “souvenir of Eric Clapton’s latest star-studded charity concert, which took place in April at Madison Square Garden” and praised Clapton’s live take.
In 2016, released the song as part of the live album Live in San Diego. Guitarist Rich Robinson covered the song and released his version of “Got to Get Better in a Little While” on the eponymous ten-inch vinyl single along with the originals “Look Through My Window” and “Falling Away” on 16 April 2016 through Eagle Records.
- “Got To Get Better In A Little While”. Eric Clapton Lyric/Song Archive. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- “Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs (Deluxe Edition)”. Amazon Music Network. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- “Got to Get Better in a Little While”. Second Hand Songs. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- “Derek and the Dominos’ Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs Turns 40!”. Eric Clapton News. 22 January 2011. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- “Derek & The Dominos – Got To Get Better In A Little While”. Schweizer Hitparade (in German). Steffen Hung (Hund Medien). Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- “Derek And The Dominos – Got To Get Better In A Little While / Layla”. Discogs. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- “Got To Get Better In A Little While (Live) – Eric Clapton”. Amazon Music Network. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- “Eric Clapton – Got To Get Better [Live at Crossroads 2013]“. YouTube. 21 October 2013. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- Damian Fanelli (24 October 2013). “Video: Eric Clapton Performs “Got to Get Better in a Little While” at 2013 Crossroads Guitar Festival”. Guitar World. NewBay Media, LLC. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- “Rich Robinson – Got To Get Better In a Little While (Vinyl)”. Discogs. Retrieved 21 August 2016.