Robert Dobbie (1901–2000) was a Pastor hailing from Dundee, Scotland who taught Old Testament at the Universities of Glasgow (1946–1947), St. Andrews (1947–1955), Toronto (1955–1969) and at Carleton (1969–1974).
Dobbie was a member of the Society of Biblical Literature and was at one time elected as Vice-President of the Canadian section of Society of Biblical Literature. Dobbie used to contribute to Old Testament scholarship through his writings which appeared in biblical journals like The Expository Times,Vetus Testamentum, Canadian Journal of Theology,Scottish Journal of Theology,International Review of Missions.
Dobbie last taught at the Carleton University where he was Visiting Professor of Religion from 1969 onwards.
- Eternal Father, Lord of space and time
- Eternal God, we consecrate these children
- 1955, The Text of Hosea Ix 8
- 1958, Sacrifice and Morality in the Old Testament
- 1958, Jeremiah and the preacher
- 1958, A Meditation on Jonah
- 1959, Deuteronomy and the prophetic attitude to sacrifice
- 1962, The Biblical Foundation of the Mission of the Church. I: The Old Testament
- Hugh McKellar, DNAH Archives, Hymnary, Robert Dobbie.
- 100th Anniversary, Calumet Congregational Church, 1873, The Church, 1973.
- W. M. W. Roth, Numerical Sayings in the Old Testament: A Form-Critical Study, E. J. Brill, Leiden, 1965.
- Journal of Biblical Literature, Volumes 78-79, Society of Biblical Literature and Exegesis, 1959, p.374.
- Robert Dobbie, Sacrifice and Morality in the Old Testament, The Expository Times 70, 1958-1959, pp.297-300. Cited in Cyril S. Rodd, Glimpses of a Strange Land: Studies in Old Testament Ethics, T&T Clark, London, 2001, p.342.
- Robert Dobbie, The Text of Hosea Ix 8, Vetus Testamentum, 1955, Vol.5(1), pp.199-203.
- Robert Dobbie, Jeremiah and the preacher, Canadian Journal of Theology, 4.1 (January 1958), pp. 37-45.
- Robert Dobbie, Deuteronomy and the prophetic attitude to sacrifice, Scottish Journal of Theology, 1959, Vol.12(1), pp.68-82.
- Robert Dobbie, The Biblical Foundation of the Mission of the Church. I: The Old Testament, International Review of Missions 51, 1962, pp.196-205. Cited in Walter C. Jr. Kaiser, Mission in the Old Testament: Israel as a Light to the Nations, Baker Academic, Grand Rapids, 2012 (Second Edition).
- The Ottawa Journal from Ottawa, 20 June 1969, p.13
- Robert Dobbie, A Meditation on Jonah, Canadian Journal of Theology 4.3 (July 1958), pp. 195-199.
- Honorary Degrees Conferred by Senate of Victoria University in the University of Toronto 1970-1979.
- Further reading