Bastrop is the county seat of Bastrop County, Texas, and is located about 30 mi (48 km) east of Austin at 30°6’43” North, 97°19’1″ West (30.112057, -97.316838). Bastrop was settled by Europeans in 1804 and incorporated on December 18, 1837. The population was 7,218 according to the 2010 census.
- Bastrop Chamber of Commerce, 927 Main Street, +1 512 303-0558. M-F 8AM-5PM, Sa 10AM-3PM. Visit the Chamber and pick up a free visitor’s guide. If the chamber is closed, guides may be found in the box by the front door.
- The Bastrop Advertiser is the oldest semi-weekly newspaper in the state of Texas. It publishes twice a week and can be purchased at most area convenience stores for $0.50.
- Bastrop does not have a smoking ordinance so patrons may smoke inside restaurants, unless it is forbidden by the restaurant.
Austin Bergstrom International Airport (AUS IATA) is 30 miles (48 km) west of the city center. The most practical means of travel from the airport is by rental car but taxis are available. A one-way trip by taxi is about $40 (credit cards accepted).
Auto rental companies at the airport:
- Advantage Rent-A-Car 530-3330
- Alamo 530-3500
- Avis 530-3400
- Budget 530-3350
- Dollar 530-2277
- Enterprise 530-8100
- Hertz 530-3600
- National 530-3550
- Thrifty 530-6811
- Airport Shuttle and Taxi 303-5505
The main highway through Bastrop is Texas State Highway 71 which can be picked up off Interstate Highway 35 in Austin or off Interstate Highway 10 about 75 miles west of Houston.
Loop 150 off 71 takes you through the heart of historical downtown Bastrop. Once downtown, parking is plentiful and free. Bastrop is small enough that it is practical to park and walk to boutique shops, restaurants, the new river walk and the many historic houses located in the city.
- Bastrop County Historical Society Museum, 904 Main St, ☎+1 512 303-0057, +1 512 303-0904. M-Sa 10AM-5PM, Su 1PM-4PM. $2. (updated Mar 2017)
- Bastrop Fine Arts Guild Gallery, 815 Main St, ☎+1 512 321-8055. Tu-Th 10AM-6PM, F-Sa 10AM-10PM, Su 11AM-3PM. (updated Mar 2017)